After cleaning up a squash explosion in my microwave, I learned the hard way that you need to poke holes in the squash BEFORE heating it...but you live and you learn! When it was all said and done, this simple dinner hit the spot. Highly recommend!
What You'll Need:
Makes 2 large servings
- 1 whole squash
- 1 lb ground turkey breast
- 3-5 medium Roma tomatoes, diced
- 3 small cloves of garlic, minced (or garlic powder)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Cheese of choice (I used Parmesan...a lot of it)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Poke holes all around the squash. Microwave for 3-5 minutes (depending on the wattage of your microwave)
- Remove from the microwave and slice in half to remove seeds. Drizzle both halves with olive oil and minced garlic OR garlic powder (if using fresh garlic, add 1 small clove of minced garlic per half)
- Flip both halves upside down and bake for 15-18 minutes
- Place skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, 1 clove minced garlic or garlic powder, diced tomatoes and ground turkey. Cook for 8-10 minutes (or until turkey is cooked through)
- When squash is done, use a fork to scrape out the inside. Mix turkey and tomato mixture into the squash noodles, adding your cheese of choice for the finishing touch!